Troubleshooting Power in PoH Devices
Power-over-HDBaseT (PoH) allows devices—such as TEKVOX’s PTZ Cameras & HDBaseT Receivers—to be powered via the same cable that transports video and control signals. If your PoH-capable equipment does not power on correctly, there are several steps you can try to identify and fix the problem.
Check HDBaseT Cables
While HDBaseT is a technology that works with any Category cable, using sub-par cabling drastically shortens a device’s lifetime, and increases the risk of errors.
- Check near the head of the cable for a TEKVOX serial sticker. All cables shipped for use in TEKVOX systems are exactingly tested and individually certified. If the cable does not have a serial sticker, it may have been field-terminated, and is therefore not under warranty.
- Re-test the cable using an MS-TestPro HDBaseT Tester. If the cable fails a certification test, there’s a good chance that it is responsible for the error in the system.
Check the PoH Connection
- If one is available, replace the device suspected to be malfunctioning with another of the same model that is working correctly.
- If the error disappears with the replacement, it’s likely that the device that was replaced has failed.
- If the error persists with the replacement, it’s likely that the problem lies either in the cabling or in the device supplying PoH.
Test Equipment in Similar System
- If one is available, replace a known working device of the same model with the one you suspect of malfunctioning.
- If the problem follows the suspect device, it’s likely that it has failed.
If none of these approaches gives a clear indication of the source of the problem, contact email@example.com with as many details as possible about the problem and the troubleshooting steps you took.
Once you have followed these steps to determine the source of the problem in your system, submit an RMA request for the failed component, making sure to include a full description of the problem.